Take control of social media

30 September 2018

CEB Creative's Blog Digital Marketing Website Hints and Tips

Over the past year I’ve worked on a number of website projects for client who have found me via my Instagram page @cebcreative. 

It’s no secret that social media can be a powerful tool when it comes to generating new business but with so many channels it can be hard to know where to start. In this post I will help you identify where to focus your efforts.

Check out my Instagram

Take control of social media

Firstly let’s take a look at the most popular platforms in the UK. Who are the leaders?

Most used social media in UK

  1. Facebook – A social sharing/networking site – 32,000,000
  2. YouTube – The top website used for video uploading and viewing – 19,100,000
  3. Twitter – A Micro-blogging platform and discussion – 20,000,000
  4. Instagram – A photo and video sharing social network – 14,000,000

We know there are a lot more than these four but focusing your digital marketing efforts on platforms that have the widest audience share is a good place to start. The next thing you need to considering is where does your audience hang out?

Where does my target audience hang out?

I specialise in helping small to medium sized local businesses with my web design and development skills so let’s use those as an example.

For the most part, a lot of local businesses have a Facebook Page and are often members of local business groups such as Brackley Business Network. I find these to be a great resource for generating new business as it’s easy to pick up on questions asked. If you can provide people with a bit of good free advice, after a while recommendations will get thrown around which makes converting conversations in to customers a lot easier.

To be successful on social media you need to put in the time and depending on how much time you have, it’s wise to focus activity on one or two key platforms. These should be platforms that are likely to yield the best results so audience size and type are key things to identify here.

You should have some sort of presence across all key social platforms and commit to updating these regularly. Seeing social feeds with content from over a year ago on isn’t reassuring to customers.

What should I be posting, how much and how often?

This is a really tough one but from doing a lot of my own research an 80/20 rule seems to be the standard school of thought when it comes to how much content you should post.

This breaks down as 80% of what you post should be sharing things you’ve found whilst the other 20% can be self-promotional posts. People will get bored quick if all you ever do is a post about how great your services are. There are of course ways to self-promote on the sly. Re-tweeting reviews or recommendations, posting examples of your work, promotional offers etc. These are all things that will draw peoples attention to your business.

I mentioned at the start of the post that I had picked up some work from my Instagram posts. People go to Instagram to be inspired and discover things they care about, which includes content from brands and businesses. I am lucky because as a creative, my Instagram really works for me posting examples of my own work and interesting things I have discovered from others.

Instagram can work for businesses in all industries, you just have to find your niche! Instagram is a highly visual experience in which you can tell your story through interesting photos, videos and captions.

Finally, the question of how often you should post. Most studies agree that once per day is optimal, with a maximum of two posts per day. Hubspot found that pages under 10,000 fans experienced a 50% drop in engagement per post if they posted more than once per day. At a minimum, you should post to your Facebook pages 3 times per week. I think you could apply that rule to your focus channels and then just post at least once a week to any other channels you have.

Take control of your social media marketing

The key to creative success across social media, or in any other marketing channel, is relevant content that’s well-branded, concept-driven and professionally produced.

Keep these tried-and-tested principles in mind when creating your next direct response campaign, and see how the post performs compared to others that haven’t been so well focused or thought out.

Experimenting, testing and learning are key to long-term success. Feel free to connect with me on my facebook page at www.facebook.com/cebcreative.

If you’d like help branding your social media channels get in touch!

Let’s get social

Got a project?

  • Would you like to receive information from CEB Creative? CEB Creative would like to occasionally send you information about their products, services and promotions.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.